Ten Questions with Lauren McNeese

Photo by Kelly Williams
The elegant Lauren McNeese shows poise on and off the stage. We asked ten questions to get to know her better.

1. What was your last gig before coming to San Diego?
My last job was Donna Elvira in Don Giovanni with Intermountain Opera in Bozeman Montana

2. Can you tell us a little about your role in Cenerentola?
I play the role of Cenerentola. I like to think of her as a gentle but spirited survivor. Life has thrown her a few curve balls and her innate wisdom and natural tendency towards kindness helps keep her from falling into despair. She knows who she is and will not bend her character to become someone else in order to please others. I envision her having a wonderful sense of humor and an infectious laugh!!

3. Do you personally relate to your character? If so, how ?
I do relate to her softer spirit I think and her willingness to forgive. I love the aura of grace that surrounds her character.

4. Are there any dream roles that you would love to sing and why? And since we're dreaming it doesn't even need to be in your fach.
I would love to sing Charlotte in Werther and Octavian in Der Rosenkavalier!

5. What was your introduction to opera and how did you decide this was the path you wanted to pursue?
My mother bought me The Magic Flute when I was a freshman in high school and I fell in love immediately! I had no idea music like that existed. I saw Barber of Seville a few years later and that sealed the deal.

6. Who is your favorite opera singer in the game right now?

Nina Stemme. I had the pleasure of singing in a Ring Cycle with her and it was an inspiration, an experience I will never forget.

7. Fill in the blank: "If I was not an opera singer, I would be __________"
"If I was not an opera singer, I would be a nutritionist and own a yoga studio!"

8. Do you have a book next to your bed? What is it? If you’re not a reader, how about a video game or NETFLIX series?
I am currently reading "Elizabeth I" by Margaret George. I am also making my way through Grey's Anatomy on NETFLIX...it's a definite addiction!!

9. Name three bands or artists on your iPod that aren't opera related.

I listen to the Wailin' Jennys Pandora station. It is filled with artists like Allision Krauss, Mamuse and Nickel Creek. I love gospel bluegrass!

10. What are you most looking forward to doing in San Diego while you’re in town?
I have always wanted to visit San Diego so I am super excited about having the opportunity to spend a month in town. I would love to go to the zoo and spend some time by the water!!

Lauren's Spotify Playlist:
https://open.spotify.com/user/1215043437/playlist/0ctHe5LSX9pfX4wC2S8Er3

 
Interview with Nic Reveles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_8My3l3o-o

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Are You Listening To This Weekend?

10 Interesting Facts About Faust

Five Things About La boheme You Don't Need To Know But Will Be Glad You Did